Use baking soda to take away the smell; cornstarch to take away extra moisture and add a few drops of essential oil to add a nice smell.
1⁄2 cup baking soda
1⁄2 cup cornflour
few drops of essential oil
Makes 6 small bags
1. Using offcuts of fabric from your scraps bag or the Op Shop, cut squares of fabric.
2. Mix the baking soda and cornflour together in a mixing bowl. Add a few drops of your favourite essential oil. Mix again.
3. Lay the fabric squares flat out on the bench. Share the deodorising mixture evenly between the bags. Tie the top tightly with string.
4. Put a bag into each shoe, and leave overnight.
5. Enjoy fresh shoes… (and by the way, your compost bin won’t like baking soda in large quantities as it is such an effective fungicide).
This is an extract from Coastal – living the coastal life, cooking for the coastal table, my latest book. In 2003, I left my busy life in London to build my dream lifestyle in New Zealand. This ‘love letter to The Coromandel’ takes readers on a seasonal cycle of what to grow, harvest and cook from the sea and land, with recipes and DIY projects all interwoven the story of my family house build.
Look at the book here.